Broker Check

6007 Lebanon Drive
Falls Church, VA 22041

Terry L. Jones, CPA, LLC



What Should You Bring to Have Your Tax Return Prepared?

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Following is a list of the more common items you should bring if you have them.

  • - Wage statements (Form W-2)
  • - Pension, or retirement income (Forms 1099-R)
  • - Form to verify health insurance coverage (Form 1095)
  • - Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
  • - Last year's tax return. If we did your taxes last year we have it but it is a good practice to bring it anyway
  • - Information on education expenses
  • - Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds
  • - Self-employed business income and expenses
  • - Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
  • - State refund amount
  • - Social Security and/or unemployment income
  • - Income and expenses from rentals
  • - K-1’s from any Partnerships , S-Corps or Trusts
  • - Record of purchase or sale of real estate
  • - Medical and dental expenses
  • - Real estate and personal property taxes
  • - Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
  • - Receipts for cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • - Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
  • - Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • - Job-related educational expenses
  • - Child care expenses and provider information. You will need the address and either their EIN or SSN.
  • - And any other items that you think may be necessary for your taxes. Generally a good rule of thumb is if you are not sure if you need a document bring it.

Back to list